Monday, October 5, 2009

Fevers, Runny Nose, and Coughing... Oh My!

As cold and flu season rapidly approaches, the concern regarding our children's health rises. How can I keep them from getting sick? What should I do if they get sick? What medications are safe for children? Are all common questions that can arise. Symptoms commonly include fever, runny nose, coughing, vomiting, and diarrhea, and range from mild to severe. Fevers seem to be the most common cause of concern for parents, including myself. Pediatricians often recommend giving children Tylenol at the first sign of a fever. The reason being that if a fever reaches high enough (103-104 or greater) for a long enough period of time, it can produce a seizure in the child and result in possible brain damage. Although this is a possiblity, it is extremely rare. I recently read an article in the "Pathways" magazine written by a Pediatrician and Lactation Consultant, Dr. Susan Markel. The article changed my views on treating symptoms in children.
The article read, "... As loving and caring parents, we naturally want to help our children feel better when the inevitable fevers, colds, and illnesses arise. Many of us will reach for popular over-the-counter remedies to suppress fever and alleviate symptoms, in the belief that these products are reliable. Yet, it is important to recognize that by suppressing fever, we are suppressing a critical immune response—one that has a necessary function in fighting illness.
I can attest to the enormous fear that fever provokes in parents. By far, the greatest number of after-hours telephone calls are questions regarding the “management” of fever with drugs. Undue attention to a child’s temperature and mishandling of fevers generate a great deal of unwarranted parental anxiety, avoidable medical complications, and countless calls and costly visits to doctors and emergency rooms. As long as we remain captive to the medical myth that nature made a mistake in causing a fever during illness, our children will be put at risk.
Yes, fever can be uncomfortable. A child with a high fever will often seem irritable, lethargic, glassy eyed, and listless. This alerts you that the body is mobilizing defense against disease and you, in turn, must care for your child in the most appropriate way: encouraging rest and fluids. On the other hand, there may be no reason to treat even a high fever if your child seems happy, active and alert..."
I couldn't agree with her more on this issue! There is so much truth behind what she is saying. I recently took my son to the Fast Track at Elkhart General Hospital due to Croup and Laryngitis (I know Laryngitis in a 3 month old... crazy!) I can't tell you how much I appreciated the Doctor in the ER as he told me to go home, let my son "wait it out", give him Pedialyte for electrolyte imbalance, and DO NOT put him on any antibiotics. He made a statement to me that calmed my nerves immediately. He said, "I personally believe we over medicate children today. My children are 7 and 8 and have yet to take an antibiotic." Can you believe that?? A medical doctor saying this! I felt so relieved! But there is truly something to say about what he said! God gave our children immune systems and a strong immune defense for a reason! We shouldn't suppress this system, we need to learn to let it "fight it out" to strengthen itself (although there may be a severe situation that warrants medication!) Let me know what you think regarding this issue! Post your comments/thoughts/concerns!

No comments:

Post a Comment